Wednesday 5 October 2011

What a difference a day makes

Sorry for the blogging absence but things have changed a little here.
Our son went off to Uni in Loughborough last week :( and it didn't all go to plan to begin with.
He was put in halls( which are lovely) but on his own. Well, I say on his own, there were two others but both were second year students. We assumed that more freshers would arrive on Thursday.
We left him late Wednesday afternoon with my daughter and I sobbing for the first hour of our journey. My husband chose not to say anything as really there was nothing he could have said that would have made us feel any better!
On Thursday we had a call from him saying that there appeared to be others in halls close to him that were also on their own and they had all decided to go to the accommodation office and ask to be moved. That proved pointless.
So, on Thursday afternoon my daughter and I drove back up to Loughborough, a 400 mile round trip, to try and sort things out.
To cut a very long story short, we managed to get him moved. I say 'we' but it was my daughter who did the talking. I was very aware that my son wouldn't want his mum going on to campus with him, so my daughter went instead. By this time my son was mentally drained and was ready to give up the fight,my daughter on the other hand, wasn't!
I'm very happy to say that he is now with a group of 5 other freshers and is really enjoying it.
I'm an emotional wreck most of the time. It doesn't take much to make me cry but those few days were one of the worst times I've had. I felt helpless.
The only thing I have to come to terms with is the fact that he's not here, which I hate. I miss him so much.
I can't believe I'm saying this, but...........roll on Christmas, then he'll be home!

5 comments:

  1. You visited my hometown twice! I would have given you a wave :) Although, the roads round here are manic when the students return :( Now we have to put up with drunken, rowdy young people for a few weeks until they settle down and decide to do some work!!! Anyway, I'm so pleased you have sorted the problem out, the 1st days are so important..... I have just 'lost' my daughter to Leicester Uni, thats quite close though....
    Sue Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is all just horrible, for all of you! Well done to you and your daughter for getting it sorted and how sad that the Uni were so hopeless. Still, onto better things for him now, eh. The missing does get better...after a while! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. :-( I hope you get used to it soon, it must be so hard, like you have lost a limb or something. Well done to your daughter for getting him in with others so he isn't on his own. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good on your daughter! Having people in the same year as you is a really important part of the support network, your daughter did a service to all those on their own!

    You might both start to feel better now that you know he is happier and more settled x

    Sorry you are sad but give it three years and you will be sobbing that he is coming back to mess up the house! Only kidding!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bless you! I hope you are feeling cheerier soon. I'm guessing it says a lot for your parenting that your son is settled and happy so quickly and your daughter has what it takes to make people take action and put things right.......a pat on the back for you me thinks!

    ReplyDelete