Sunday 13 May 2012

Times they are a changing


Since I gave up my job at school and concentrated on my rosiebull designs business all of the sewing has taken place in our conservatory. It's a big room, an open plan extension of the lounge. When we first had it built we used it as a dining room but as the business got bigger and more boxes of fabric and machines made their home here, we had to eat in the lounge on our laps.

We knew at the end of last year that we had to rethink things and changes had to be made.
We visited various garden centres, locally and some further away trying to hunt down the perfect solution.
Just by chance I happened to be chatting to a neighbour who's friend was having a workshop built in her garden. A phone call was made, a quote was given, a few sleepless nights were had............



and a few weeks later building began!


Last Thursday I finally moved in!




The house is back to normal, food can be eaten at the table and I have the most amazing workroom!
My husband fitted the cupboards, a Wickes kitchen, and I've added the finishing touches. 

Underneath the notonthehighstreet.com award I won last year sits a photo of my mum and dad.
 My dad was a builder and I know he'd approve of the quality of the building. My mum, I'm sure would approve of the quality of the sewing, after all, she did teach me all I know!





13 comments:

  1. Wow, that is gorgeous!!! How beautiful, and organised with those lovely Wickes cupboards... I'm so jealous - I have to craft on my living room floor, and use my ironing board as a sewing machine table! :o)
    Congratulations, it's lovely!
    Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow I am so jealous that is gorgeous, lucky you to have such a wonderful light dedicated area to work in!! But then you do deserve it, congratulations and enjoy
    Big Hugs
    Pene

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been following your blog for a while now, remembering the time when you made the decision to give up work at the school and concentrate on the craft business. I think your new workshop is wonderful, but no more then you deserve, to make any of our crafts into successful a business takes an awful lot of work (blood, sweat and tears no doubt), and I am full of admiration for you and one day I will own one of your ipad covers!!!

    Enjoy your space, must feel different 'going to work' even if it is just across the garden.

    Take care and best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful workroom!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is brilliant! I'm lucky to get the spare room (which has a whole wall of glass so has great light) but we need to build a workspace in the garden for my husband at some point. Well deserved, enjoy it! Beth (the linen cat)x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful space! I'd love to see what you've done with the coservatory now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for the lovely messages you've left me, I really do appreciate your kind words of encouragement, it means a lot to me. I've a had a lovely few days in my 'workshop' 'studio' or as we call it 'the shed!' We called it the shed when the builders were here and we got a very stern look from them! I really would recommend them to anyone, they've made a great job of building it. Should you live on the South Coast and need a similar building I'll be happy to pass on their details to you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow!! It's totally fab, must be great to work in and enjoy all that light and space. I live on the South Coast and would love one - problem is we have the teeny tiniest of gardens!!! I have a big desk in our conservatory but its always piled to the top, so have to take over the dining table! but then have to try to leave at least 2 places free so we can eat in shifts!!!!! Enjoy your haven.
      Juliexoxo

      Delete
  8. Wow! Now this is a studio! I'm a little envious. Enjoy!
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  9. A craft room to envy. Actually, it is so fab I could live there.

    ReplyDelete