Sunday 22 May 2011

The cake

I thought long and hard about what cake I wanted to make for my sons 21st. I wanted it to be something different but due to lack of time it needed to be fairly easy to make. He LOVeS food so I decided it had to be connected to that.

My daughter, who should have been revising, couldn't keep away once I'd started, so she helped too. I made 3 large sponges on Thursday, which I was really pleased with and perfect for what I needed them for!
So, off we went. My daughter started by carving bits off the side of one of the sponges and covering it in creamy butter icing, while I rolled out caramel royal icing.
Any ideas as to what cake it might be?
Rolling out this colour was the easy bit as it was pre coloured but the brown we needed had to be kneaded and that was unbelievably hard work! In fact I pulled stomach muscles doing it! My husband thinks that's hilarious!
I used paste colouring which is so much better than normal liquid colouring.
We covered one of the sponges in caramel. Not very neat is it? Doesn't matter though, it will all be hidden by a brown sponge.
Guessed yet?
Cheese slice anyone?
Right I'm sure you're all thinking I've gone mad at this point. A real cabbage leaf? Stay with me, prepare to be impressed. We rolled out green royal icing and pressed a washed cabbage leaf in to it, leaving a perfect imprint.
Then laid it on the top!
Made a few tomatoes
Finished off with some icing sesame seeds and there you have it......

A burger fit for a giant!
The reason for it is that every day as soon as he comes in he asks what's for dinner. He loves food and at 6'6" he eats a lot of it!

The look on his face when we lit the candles and appeared with it said it all.
No one left the house at the end of the evening empty handed. there was plenty of cake to go round!

P.S Don't forget to enter my giveaway on my last post!

9 comments:

  1. WOW! It's amazing ~ I bet he will never forget it!
    Kandi x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's brilliant!! well done x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm impressed I've seen less realistic burgers in mcdonalds!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a clever idea..I love it..and I bet he did too! A shame you had to eat it after all that work. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH MY GOD. THAT IS JUST LOVELY.
    I can't describe what i want to say.
    I had to comment. that shows how much i like it.

    Nathalie

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is one amazing cake!absolutely brilliant and I love the use of the cabbage leaf. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG that is fabulous!! You are so clever!!

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic 'whopper' (literally) of a cake!!!

    ReplyDelete